Can you believe that the Kingsport City Schools year is already coming to an end? As of today, there are only 14 school days left before we close the books on 2017-2018. But don’t think that just because the school year is winding down, there’s a lack of activity throughout KCS. The schedule is jam-packed between now and Graduation Saturday on May 26th.
This week in the Saturday Six, let’s take a look at six key calendar items that are worth your attention between now and the end of the school year.
- The week of May 7-11, 2018 is Employee Appreciation Week in Kingsport City Schools. Careers in the field of education are so rewarding, but can also be exhausting! KCS sets aside this week in the spring to send a little extra love to our faculty and staff who face each day with determination to open up the world to our students!
- Looking for an opportunity to get a first-hand look at some of the great things that have been happening in our schools during the year? Check out the KCS Upcoming Events Calendar. Concerts, teas, awards days, art shows, and more dot the calendar, making May an action packed month of student celebration.
- The last day of school is May 24th, which is an early dismissal day for students. Middle and high schools will dismiss that day at 11:40 a.m., while elementary schools will dismiss at 12:15 p.m. Buses will run normal routes.
- The grand celebration of each school year takes place at the Dobyns-Bennett’s graduation ceremony. Please join students, families, faculty and staff at D-B’s J. Fred Johnson Stadium at 9 a.m. on Saturday, May 26 as this exciting event takes place. Seating is available in the stadium on a first come, first served basis. We invite you to come be a part of the biggest celebration of the KCS year!
- With the end of May comes Memorial Day. On Monday, May 28, all schools and the Administrative Support Center will be closed as KCS joins the nation in celebrating this national holiday. Please take time out to reflect on the sacrifice made by members of the armed forces killed in the line of duty as they have fought to defend the freedoms we hold so dear in the United States of America.
- Tuesday, May 29 winds down the school year for school staff. It’s the final in-service day of the 2017-2018 as teachers wrap up all loose ends and begin to plan for 2018-19!
Next week in the Saturday Six: As the year begins to wind down, the Saturday Six will take a look back at many student highlights and achievements from the Spring semester.