You’ve found the We Are KCS blog on social media, but do you keep an eye on the other KCS social media platforms?
This week, the Saturday Six reminds you that all week long, you can get a glimpse into what is taking place in our schools and see the great things being accomplished by our students and staff. There is no better way to learn all about KCS than by being one of our social media followers! Check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/KptSchools/ or Twitter at https://twitter.com/KCS_District.
This week, let’s look at six great tweets found on the KCS Twitter page this week!
The KCS Saturday Six honors Dobyns-Bennett Head Football Coach Graham Clark, who this week was announced as a 2016 inductee into the Tennessee Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame. Here are six things you should know about Coach Clark!
- Coach Clark has compiled an impressive 241 wins during his career as a head coach, with 222 of those coming as the head of the Tribe. All those wins include 18 conference championships and an average of 9 1/2 wins a season!
- Coach Clark has been named the Big East Coach of the Year four times (1996, 1997, 2000, and 2002). When you consider he was also named Hogoheege District Coach of the Year while head coach at Chilhowie High School in 1981, that makes a whopping five district coaching honors during his illustrious career!
- The honors haven’t stopped at the local level either. Coach Clark has twice been named Northeast Tennessee Coach of the year and received the News-Sentinel 5A Coach of the Year award twice, as well. He is certainly well known and respected all across Tennessee.
- Since being named head coach in 1993, D-B has never failed to qualify for the TSSAA state playoffs. During that time, Coach Clark has led the Indians to 29 playoff victories, including three trips to the state final 4!
- With such a long and storied career at D-B, do you know where Coach Clark got his coaching start? The answer to that question is Powell Valley High School, where he was an assistant varsity football coach from 1977-78. He also coached at the college level at Appalachian State University as an assistant coach before taking the reins at Chilhowie High School in 1980. After 11 years as an assistant at D-B, he is now in his 24th season as the head of the Tribe.
- Coach Clark will be formally inducted into the TFCA Hall of Fame during the TSSAA Championship Weekend at Tennessee Tech on December 2, 2016… A deserving honor for an extraordinary coach, leader, and gentleman.
Congratulations, Coach Clark, on this tremendous honor. We are proud of you!
This was Homecoming Week at Dobyns-Bennett, and to help celebrate, the Saturday Six takes a look at the sights and sounds from the celebration. What an awesome ending to a spirit-filled week! #RollTribe
- The D-B Spirit Shakers helped get Homecoming Friday off to a fantastic start, as they rocked it during the afternoon pep rally.
- Head Football Coach Graham Clark caps off the pep rally by awarding the coveted spirit stick!
- It’s time to kick it off in J Fred Johnson Stadium!
- Touchdown, D-B!
- It’s always a special time when the Homecoming Court arrives during halftime.
- Congratulations to the 2016 Football Homecoming Queen, Miss Tyla Phillips!
Happy Labor Day Weekend from everyone at the KCS Saturday Six!
This weekend, we’re shining a spotlight on a unique and award winning community engagement program for our district, “Insight KCS.” The initiative provides opportunities for local citizens throughout Kingsport to study the full scope of instructional programs and operations of Kingsport City Schools. The program takes place over six sessions during the 2016-17 school year, with each session highlighting a different aspect of KCS operations. It is a deep dive into the inner workings of the school system and reveals much about why a school system operates in the way it does.
Is Insight KCS something in which you might be interested? Let’s take a look at the six sessions that make up the program so you can decide for yourself!
- Session 1 – KCS Overview, Leadership, and Organizational Overview. Insight KCS begins with a deep review of the district, including the KCS Guiding Tenets, history, structure, and strategic plan. This session builds the foundation of who we are as a district and the philosophies that guide our work.
- Session 2 – Teaching and Learning. This session explores the way teaching and learning takes place in KCS classrooms. Participants will take on the role of students, experiencing literacy and math just like it occurs in classrooms across the district. School tours will further deepen the level of understanding regarding the instructional methods that are taking place.
- Session 3 – The KCS Vision. What are the “big picture” projects in which KCS is engaged? Session three will focus on the major projects and initiatives that will take KCS to new heights, including our technology initiative, STREAM vision, D-B EXCEL, and the D-B Science and Technology Center.
- Session 4 – School Facilities and Operations. What takes place in KCS schools and offices every day that allows exceptional teaching and learning to occur? This session focuses on the necessary operational processes to ensure schools function well, such as school nutrition services, maintenance & custodial services, safety, and transportation. In fact, participants will even board a bus to get a first-hand look at what students and drivers experience each day!
- Session 5 – HR and Finance. What does it take to staff and fund a school system of over 7,400 students and almost 1,200 employees? Session five explores all of the human resources and finance operations that take place each day, including a look at the KCS budget and hiring processes.
- Session 6 – Student Services and Community Engagement. So much work takes place to provide a high level of service to the students and families of Kingsport. The final session explores the many ways that KCS supports the needs of our community, including student service operations, nursing and health services, homeless education, and building strong partnerships with our families and community.
Interested in enrolling or finding out more about Insight KCS, winner of the 2015 TSBA Award for Excellence in Education? Click here for more information. Hurry! Insight KCS begins on September 30, 2016.