Happy Labor Day Weekend from everyone at the KCS Saturday Six!
This weekend, we’re shining a spotlight on a unique and award winning community engagement program for our district, “Insight KCS.” The initiative provides opportunities for local citizens throughout Kingsport to study the full scope of instructional programs and operations of Kingsport City Schools. The program takes place over six sessions during the 2016-17 school year, with each session highlighting a different aspect of KCS operations. It is a deep dive into the inner workings of the school system and reveals much about why a school system operates in the way it does.
Is Insight KCS something in which you might be interested? Let’s take a look at the six sessions that make up the program so you can decide for yourself!
- Session 1 – KCS Overview, Leadership, and Organizational Overview. Insight KCS begins with a deep review of the district, including the KCS Guiding Tenets, history, structure, and strategic plan. This session builds the foundation of who we are as a district and the philosophies that guide our work.
- Session 2 – Teaching and Learning. This session explores the way teaching and learning takes place in KCS classrooms. Participants will take on the role of students, experiencing literacy and math just like it occurs in classrooms across the district. School tours will further deepen the level of understanding regarding the instructional methods that are taking place.
- Session 3 – The KCS Vision. What are the “big picture” projects in which KCS is engaged? Session three will focus on the major projects and initiatives that will take KCS to new heights, including our technology initiative, STREAM vision, D-B EXCEL, and the D-B Science and Technology Center.
- Session 4 – School Facilities and Operations. What takes place in KCS schools and offices every day that allows exceptional teaching and learning to occur? This session focuses on the necessary operational processes to ensure schools function well, such as school nutrition services, maintenance & custodial services, safety, and transportation. In fact, participants will even board a bus to get a first-hand look at what students and drivers experience each day!
- Session 5 – HR and Finance. What does it take to staff and fund a school system of over 7,400 students and almost 1,200 employees? Session five explores all of the human resources and finance operations that take place each day, including a look at the KCS budget and hiring processes.
- Session 6 – Student Services and Community Engagement. So much work takes place to provide a high level of service to the students and families of Kingsport. The final session explores the many ways that KCS supports the needs of our community, including student service operations, nursing and health services, homeless education, and building strong partnerships with our families and community.
Interested in enrolling or finding out more about Insight KCS, winner of the 2015 TSBA Award for Excellence in Education? Click here for more information. Hurry! Insight KCS begins on September 30, 2016.