Unbelievable… The 2017-18 KCS school year is down to its final days! The last day for students is this Thursday, May 24, with D-B graduation taking place next Saturday, May 26. How did it all come to an end so quickly??
But following any great school year is a fantastic summer! This week in the Saturday Six, let’s take a look at some of the activities and events on the horizon once school breaks for the year.
- First things first… Not sure where to find all the options that are available for students this summer? We’ve made it easy for you! Just click here for the one-stop shop of summer offerings from our KCS Summer Events webpage.
- KCS STREAM (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts, and Math) camps will take place during the month of June. High School students (rising 9th-12th graders) will meet June 4-8 at the Regional Center for Advanced Manufacturing (RCAM) from 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Elementary (rising 2nd – 5th graders) and middle school (rising 6th – 8th graders) students will each have two weeks of camp, June 11-15 and June 18-22. Middle School camps will be held at Robinson Middle School from 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., while elementary camps will be held at Sevier Middle School from 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- There are also a wide variety of sports camps being offered this summer. Boys baseball, boys basketball, girls basketball, football, soccer (boys and girls), girls softball, girls volleyball, and track and speed (girls and boys) are among the offerings. Again, please check the Summer Camp webpage for the full slate of offerings and registration information.
- KCS is pleased to offer Summer preview camps for Honors and AP classes. These are designated for first-time Honors and AP students or those who want to improve their potential for success. Offerings this summer include “How to Be a Successful AP Student,” “AP Human Geography Summer Pre-View,” and “Honors Algebra II Prep & Success.”
- Want your rising 6th grader to get off to a great start at their new school? Make sure to attend one of the JumpStart programs. These three-day summer classes will provide rising 6th graders an opportunity to tour their school, learn how to open combination locks, meet new friends and some teachers, become aware of middle school procedures, play team building games, and more! There are four separate offerings of JumpStart scheduled for late May and early June.
- Summer preparation is an integral part of why the KCS music programs are so strong and competitive year after year. Band Camps for middle schools meet various weeks throughout the summer, while the D-B band camps begin in late June for freshmen and in July for all others.
Again, click here to view information and registration processes for all KCS summer offerings.
BONUS ITEM – KCS, in conjunction with the U.S. Department of School Nutrition Services, is pleased to announce the Summer Meals for Kids Program. Any child 18 years old or younger is eligible to receive breakfast and/or lunch FREE each weekday from May 29th – July 20th, except for July 4th. Sevier Middle School is a walk-in site serving breakfast and lunch. There are also some residential delivery sites at which lunch only will be provided. Click here for more details about the free summer feeding program.
Next week in the Saturday Six: The school year comes to a close next Saturday with graduation at Dobyns-Bennett. The Saturday Six will provide a photo review of the festivities, along with some interesting stats about this year’s graduating class. PLEASE NOTE: Publishing of the Saturday Six will be slightly delayed next week to compile all the great graduation photos.