Happy New Year!! As the Saturday Six and KCS continue to celebrate the holidays, we’re looking ahead today at some of the major events and happenings coming up in 2016. There are so many great events and celebrations on the horizon (Click here to see the full KCS Event Calendar).
Do you think that we missed something that needs to be include in the upcoming Top 6 of 2016? Add it to the comments below!
- What a great way to start the new year… Nominate someone for the KCS Hall of Fame! Starting now, nominations are being accepted for the 2016 class of the KCS Hall of Fame. Any former employee that has been retired for five years and has five years KCS experience is eligible for nomination. Who do you feel deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for the impact they had on education in Kingsport? Click here for all the details and to submit a nomination.
- The action will be fast and furious on January 8, as Sevier and Robinson clash in the 3rd annual Tribe Classic. This annual daytime basketball match-up between city rivals takes place in the D-B Buck Van Huss Dome and brings out an unmatched sense of school pride for all KCS middle schoolers. The boys and girls varsity teams will be in action, with both schools’ student bodies in attendance. It’s an exciting school day for all involved, and a great representation that even in the rivalry, we are truly #OneTribe.
- It’s not just one day, but every month! In an effort to encourage ALL KCS students to think about their path after high school graduation, KCS staff and students are encouraged to wear their favorite college or career gear on the first Wednesday of each month. For students from Pre-K through 12th grade, this is just one way we aim to spark conversations and thought about not just graduating from D-B, but truly being college and career ready. So if you are in one of our schools and see staff sporting their favorite UT, ETSU, Tusculum, Milligan, or other college or KCS gear, now you’ll know why!
- We stop to appreciate the people that make such a difference in our students’ lives. At several times during the spring, we’ll celebrate key individuals that give so much to ensure student success. January 25-29 is School Board Appreciation Week, February 1-5 is National School Counseling Week, April 11-15 is National Assistant Principals Week, and May 2-6 is Employee Appreciation Week. We certainly have a lot to celebrate!
- There will be many KCS student groups that will step forward to shine this spring. Among them, the D-B Orchestra will travel to Indianapolis, IN to participate in the prestigious Orchestra America National Festival from March 10-12. Only the best of the best are invited to this highly selective event featuring high-level performances and clinics. It’s quite an honor for our student musicians and instructors!
- Graduation 2016 … Save the Date! It’s never to soon to plan ahead for what is arguably the most significant event of the school year, D-B graduation. And with the addition to J. Fred Johnson Stadium, there is plenty of seating for all who want to attend. Come share in this celebration of our students as they conclude their KCS career! We hope you’ll join us on Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 9 a.m.
Don’t forget that school starts back for students on Tuesday, January 5, 2016.