This coming Wednesday, Kingsport City Schools will officially cut the ribbon on our new facility for D-B EXCEL, a Dobyns-Bennett program of choice specializing in blended-learning classes and featuring flexible scheduling for students. The new facility is located at 400 Clinchfield Street, adjacent to the KCS Administrative Support Center. We invite you to take part in this special celebration at 10 a.m., with tours taking place immediately following the ribbon cutting. Click here for more information related to the open house!
To refresh your memory and get you ready for next week’s celebration, here are six facts about D-B EXCEL.
- D-B EXCEL is not an alternative school! DBE provides students of all types a unique way to earn a D-B diploma. There is no “typical” DBE student… They are students that seek a smaller learning environment and students that, for whatever reason, desire a flexible high school schedule. The DBE student is one that seeks a different path than the traditional high school environment.
- D-B EXCEL offers a variety of scheduling options. Students at DBE can take courses in the environment that best suits their individual needs. Full-time blended-learning students take their classes online at the DBE facility, but with the ongoing support and “shoulder-to-shoulder” guidance of a teacher in the classroom. This truly is an individualized approach to learning!
- It’s not just the physical learning environment that is individualized. By providing a learning platform that is specifically unique to each child, students even have the flexibility to speed up or slow down the learning process. The pace of learning depends on the needs of the individual student… meaning the student can work quickly through content that is already known and spend longer on items where more support is needed.
- Many students at D-B EXCEL participate in courses at the main D-B campus. Attending D-B EXCEL doesn’t mean you can’t participate in experiences at D-B. Many DBE students participate in D-B Band and extra curricular activities such as sports. Transportation options exist to help students take advantage of such opportunities.
- The new D-B EXCEL facility helps support the whole learner! Students in the new DBE facility are able to utilize a variety of lab and technology environments, including a makerspace that includes 3-D printing and an opportunity to take part in video production. A cafe also provides food service and a welcoming environment for additional academics and community-building!
- D-B EXCEL is growing! Currently, over 200 students attend D-B Excel, receiving personalized academic attention from a wide variety of teachers and staff members. The staff is able to provide a deep level of instruction and support to DBE students, both in-person and online.
Want to learn more about D-B EXCEL? Is it right for your family? Find out more by contacting Principal Mrs. Shanna Hensley at firstname.lastname@example.org.