We’re back! Today launches the first edition of the 2017-2018 Saturday Six blog. Look for us each weekend to learn something new about the people and programs of Kingsport City Schools. Each Saturday, we’ll spotlight six small bits of info about KCS.
Hopefully, you’ve had a relaxing summer break! Because of the way the calendar fell, this summer was actually a week longer than our usual break. Hopefully, you put it to good use!
To kick off this school year, let’s look at six things you’ll want to know about the start of school.
- KCS classes begin Monday morning, August 7th, with middle and high school (block classes) starting at 7:45 a.m. and elementary schools beginning at 8:15 a.m. High School Singleton classes begin at 7:30 a.m. Monday is a full-day for students, with middle and high school ending at 2:45 p.m. (3:00 p.m. for Singletons) and 3:15 p.m. for elementary.
- Still need to pick up those last-minute school supplies? Several years ago, KCS made a specific effort to shorten the traditional School Supply List, squeezing it down to just a few items. Click here to view the 2017-18 KCS School Supply List.
- How will your child get to and from school? For thousands of students, it’s on a KCS school bus. Our transportation department travels tens of thousands of miles each year to safely get kids to school in the morning and back home in the afternoon. Unsure what bus your child would ride? Click here to see the list of bus routes that will get underway on Monday morning.
- For many students, breakfast and lunch are among the highlights of the school day! Thousands of meals are served to our students each day, and it’s always helpful to know where to find the menus of what will be served. Click here to view the August menus, as well as to access information about School Nutrition Services, including how you can load funds online into your child’s account.
- The start of the year also kicks off a wide variety of academic, artistic, athletic, and community engagement events all across KCS. The best way to keep up with everything going on is to bookmark the KCS Activity Calendar and keep it handy! Click here to see everything happening across KCS.
- Finally, it’s important to have access to all the information, forms, and details related to attending Kingsport City Schools. A wealth of information has been compiled on the KCS website, including the KCS Student Handbook, parent forms and resources, and the approved school calendar. Click here to view all of this important information.
We hope you have a great first week of school!
Next week in the Saturday Six: A review of the images and events that took place during KCS Week 1