Do you ever wonder what is involved in operating a school system of over 7,700 students? What “Student Focused … World Class” looks like on a practical, day-to-day basis? Or about practical decisions and operations, like how transportation drives over a half-million miles in a year or how Dobyns-Bennett feeds over 2,000 meals twice in about about five hours every school day?
Now is your chance to find out! For the fourth year, Kingsport City Schools is hosting “Insight KCS,” a community education program that explores the full operations of our school system. You are invited! Taking place over six sessions during the 2017-18 school year, Insight KCS will highlight a different aspect of system operations, each month. From teaching and learning… to student services… to facilities operations… you can learn all about how KCS works and what goes into a wide variety of decisions.
Insight KCS starts on Friday, September 29, and applications for this year’s program are now being accepted. Interested in learning more about this unique and award-winning activity? Here is what you will experience if you are a member of this year’s Insight KCS class:
- Session 1 (Sept. 29) – KCS Overview, Leadership, and Organizational Overview. Insight KCS begins with a deep review of the district, including the KCS Guiding Tenets, history, structure, and strategic plan. This session builds the foundation of who we are as a district and the philosophies that guide our work.
- Session 2 (Oct. 27) – Teaching and Learning. This session explores the way teaching and learning takes place in KCS classrooms. Participants will take on the role of students, experiencing literacy and math instruction just like it occurs in classrooms across the district. School tours will further deepen the level of understanding regarding instructional methods that are used on a daily basis.
- Session 3 (Nov. 17) – The KCS Vision. What are the “big picture” projects in which KCS is engaged? Session three will focus on the major projects and initiatives that will take KCS to new heights, including our technology initiative, STREAM vision, D-B EXCEL, and the Regional Science and Technology Center.
- Session 4 (Jan. 26) – School Facilities and Operations. What takes place in KCS schools and offices every day that allows exceptional teaching and learning to occur? This session focuses on the necessary operational processes to ensure schools function well, such as school nutrition services, maintenance & custodial services, safety, and transportation. In fact, participants will even board a bus to get a first-hand look at what students and drivers experience each day!
- Session 5 (Feb. 23) – HR and Finance. What does it take to staff and fund a school system of over 7,700 students and approximately 1,250 employees? Session five explores all of the human resources and finance operations that take place each day, including a look at the KCS budget and hiring processes.
- Session 6 (Apr. 6) – Student Services and Community Engagement. So much work takes place to provide a high level of service to the students and families of Kingsport. The final session explores the many ways that KCS supports the needs of our community, including student service operations, nursing and health services, homeless education, and building strong partnerships with our families and community.
Think you might be interested in attending Insight KCS, winner of the 2015 TSBA Award for Excellence in Education? Click here for more information. Hurry! Insight KCS begins on September 29, 2017.
Next Week in the Saturday Six: The KCS Transportation Department travels over a half-million miles a year. How do they do it? We’ll learn more next week…