Spring has arrived! Along with warmer weather and the April showers that will hopefully bring May flowers, the KCS calendar is packed with events and happenings between now and the start of summer. It’s hard to believe that graduation is only eight weeks from today, and with all that will take place over the next 56 days, it will likely be a blur of activity.
This week in the Saturday Six, let’s take a look at some of the major event that jot the KCS calendar this spring.
- There is nothing more exciting than seeing the enthusiasm of young children on the verge of starting their educational journey. For those entering Pre-K, that starts with an initial screening to help start school in the smoothest pay possible. KCS Pre-K screening will take place on April 5, 2018 from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the Kingsport Civic Auditorium. Know someone with a child who will be four years of age on or before August 15, 2018? Have them click here to learn more about this event.
- Student athletes all across KCS will be hard at work as they compete in their spring seasons. Come support the softball, baseball, soccer, and track athletes at D-B, Sevier, and Robinson Middle Schools all season long. Click here to view the spring athletic calendar.
- Spring is a great time to honor the men and women that have worked so hard to support Kingsport’s students learn and grow. The Kingsport City Schools Hall of Fame honors former employees that helped make KCS great, and the Dobyns-Bennett Alumni Association Hall of Fame recognizes former D-B grads that have made an exemplary impact. Nominations are now being accepted for both Halls. Click here to learn more about the KCS HOF (nominations due May 1) and click here to learn more about the D-B Alumni Association Hall of Fame (nominations due May 31).
- With the end of the school year comes state testing for most all grade 3-12 students in Tennessee. When does this year’s testing begin? For most elementary students, testing will start the week of April 16. Middle school testing is currently slated to begin on April 17. At the high school level, testing is determined by course, but testing will start on April 16 and should conclude the first week of May.
- Many end-of-year awards ceremonies and programs will be taking place at all of our schools during the last few weeks of May. We’ve compiled that information for you and have posted it on our events calendar. It’s a one-stop-shop for all of your program and ceremony scheduling information. Click here to view.
- Mark your calendars now! Graduation day at Dobyns-Bennett is a yearly celebration of our students that is not to be missed. This year’s commencement will take place on Saturday, May 26, 2018 in J. Fred Johnson Stadium. Ceremonies will begin at 9 a.m.
Don’t miss a moment! Click here to access the KCS Activity Calendar and keep track of all the upcoming events.
Next week in the Saturday Six: The KCS Teachers of the Year have been announced. Tune in next week to learn more about these extraordinary educators that have been recognized as the best of the best!